Featuring an all-star whisky line-up from around the World – WhiskyFest New York 2013 will present rare whiskies and a fantastic opportunity to share stories from some of greatest whisky legends. Taking place October 11-12, each grand tasting will feature more than 250 of the world’s finest whiskies for you to taste. Meet the whisky distillers, master blenders and other whisky experts who will be in attendance. Enjoy a gourmet buffet all evening.
Silent and seldom-seen distilleries include:
- Glenury Royal 23 year old, bottled in 1997 presented by Dr. Nick Morgan, Head of Whisky Outreach for Diageo. A rare bottling of single malt scotch from a distillery that last produced in 1983.
- Stitzel-Weller bourbon presented by Ewan Morgan, Master of Whisky for Diageo. This legendary bourbon distillery closed in the early 1990s. We will taste a whiskey picked specially from the stocks that remain.
- Kininvie presented by Sam Simmons, Global Ambassador, William Grant. Taste a malt from this relatively new William Grant distillery, built on the site of Glenfiddich and Balvenie; rarely bottled and never exported to the U.S.
- Sazerac 18 year old Rye presented by Chris Fletcher, Head Chemist, Buffalo Trace. This is the first-ever release of this now legendary rye whiskey, distilled in 1981 and bottled in 2000.
- Whisky legends:
Master Distiller Jimmy Russell talks about his seven decade career at Wild Turkey, the changes in the industry, and the new distillery construction he oversaw. He’ll also share a one-off, hand-selected whiskey from the warehouses.
Talk with legendary Bruichladdich whisky maker Jim McEwan about his 50 years in distilling, which started at age 15, as a cooper’s apprentice. He’s sharing some of the last of this year’s Islay Festival bottling, a natural 47.7% beauty vatted from eight casks with a combined age of over 150 years.
Master Distiller Parker Beam opens up about his years at Heaven Hill, and his ALS research fund-raising campaign, backed by Heaven Hill. We’ll sample the Unity bottling, a unique mingling of bourbons from the seven major Kentucky distilleries to honor Parker and fight ALS.
Whisky distillers, master blenders and other whisky experts:
- Dr. Nick Morgan, Diageo
- Ewan Morgan, Stitzel-Weller
- Sam Simmons, William Grant
- Chris Fletcher, Buffalo Trace
- Dr. Bill Lumsden, Ardbeg
- David Stewart, The Balvenie
- Gerry Tosh, Highland Park
- Ann Miller, Aberlour
- John Glaser, Compass Box
- Richard Paterson,Whyte & Mackay
- David King, Anchor Distilling
- Chris Fletcher, Buffalo Trace
- Tadashi Sakuma,Nikka
- Doug McIvor,Berry Bros and Rudd
Never Tasted Before Rare Whiskies
Four of the world’s best whisky makers each bottled just twelve bottles of a whisky created exclusively for WhiskyFest, never to be tasted anywhere else. Ever.
- A very rare 1973 Vintage Ardbeg presented by Dr. Bill Lumsden, Head of Distilling, Whisky Creation and Whisky Stocks
- Balvenie A marriage of whisky from three casks (two European oak, one American oak): 1980, 1982 and 1986, the birth years of Malt Master David Stewart’s three children; presented by David Stewart, Malt Master, William Grant & Sons
- Highland Park 1968 Vintage from the remains of a cask at the distillery that was never bottled before; presented by Gerry Tosh, Global Marketing Manager, Highland Park
- Aberlour 21 year old aged in a European sherry cask, bottled at 54.4%: This exclusive example of Aberlour Single Malt was matured for 21 years in a single ex-sherry cask made from European oak presented by Ann Miller, International Brand Ambassador, Chivas Bros.
At day’s end, enjoy some of the Whisky Advocate award ‐ winners from 2012, presented by the Whisky Advocate writers who selected them.
- Glenmorangie Pride 1981 Vintage: Gavin Smith
- Four Roses 2012 Limited Edition Small Batch: John Hansell
- Auchentoshan 1979 Vintage: Gavin Smith
- Balvenie Tun 1401: Dave Broom
- Lot No. 40: Davin de Kergommeaux
- Yellow Spot: Dominic Roskrow
- Corsair Triple Smoke: Lew Bryson
Booking in advance is strongly advised and tickets are available online: WHISKYFEST TICKETS
See event listing: Tartanweek.com/events